Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ahhhh spring has sprung all over the place!

This is the time of year I get perplexed. Do I plant or don't plant? I got ahead of myself in the seed starting part of the job and started way to early. Some of my plants look pretty bad because they are pot bound and it is just to early to put them out. What to do what to do? Right now I have a mess of plants on the porch all hardened off and ready to go in but the nights I'm afraid are still to cold. I've got all the buckets and boxes washed/bleached and ready to go to work. I think on my next time off (next week sometime) I will start potting them up. One way or another I'm going to lose them either by being pot bound or cold and at least I can try to give them a chance. I was able to get the trellises up and some of the cold crops in. I did plant some Pole beans, Peas, Beets, Radishes (french breakfast & sparkling), Lettuce (leaf & head) carrots and onions seedlings. Oh yeah the broccoli too.

I made a little annual garden on the east side of the house. We will see how it goes. I used the trellis that Tam made last year and put some Sweet Peas on them and in front of that I planted some Coleus, Calendula, Begonias and Dusty Miller. So far it looks really good. I also planted another Blueberry bush, I think one of the older ones is dying for some reason. The spring flowers have come up really nice this year, it really added to the color in the yard. I think I might be getting the hang of where to put things or at least thinking more about it. I have a ton to do but very little time to play lately. But I love it and that is what it is all about.
Oh yeah! I'll leave you with a funny and some pictures that Tam took out in the garden. As you know, I planted everything by seed this year (except the Begonia & dusty miller, maybe next year). I had a couple of 6 packs with catnip under the light rack but on the bottom rack. I pulled it up to water it and found that something or some kitty had chewed all the leaves off the catnip and just left the stems. Needless to say I have a very happy cat somewhere around the house. They are now on the top rack trying to grow back some leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment